WAP 159: OBSERVATION, AWARENESS, AND HYPERVIGILANCE WITH DREW PRATER
Today on the Wasted Ammo Podcast we welcome Uncle Drew back to the podcast to talk about observation. After 10 years of active duty as an Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal Specialist, Drew spent the next four years with the Joint Army-FBI Hazardous Disaster School as an instructor until he eventually became an EOD contractor for the US State Department in ’05. Drew teaches a class on observation so today he is sharing his knowledge. Enjoy!
JOIN US TODAY AS WE TALK ABOUT:
- The human retina can take in 10 million bits/sec
- The human brain takes in more information than it can completely process
- Your reality is full of holes
- The better to train your senses, the more you trust your gut
- Trust your gut but have some common sense behind it
- It’s not paranoia, it’s hypervigilance…no Drew is paranoid
- People read left to right so slow down your brain by scanning right to left
- Start small
- Tactical cat? Tactical Komodo Dragon? Alpaca?
- A lack of observation and awareness can get you killed pretty quickly Do you run towards the danger or high tail it out of there?
- Constantly reassess the situation
- It’s not your job but it’s your duty to save lives
- Once you have drawn your pistol it’s a whole other ballgame
- Peripheral vision is better for night vision
- Observe and try to understand why
- Stop and scan, walking can affect your observation
THANKS FOR LISTENING
Thank you for spending the hour with us! Hopefully, you learned something useful that you can implement in your everyday routine to be a little more prepared. If you would like to continue the conversation please leave a note in the comment section below.
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons to left or bottom of this post.
If you would like to help support the Podcast you can shop on Amazon by using our link BGEAZ.com and we will receive a small commission on anything you buy in the next 24 hours. We thank you for your support!
If you would like to send us a question you can email us at Mailbag@wastedammo.com or you can send us a voicemail on our podcast page – just scroll down and use the Speakpipe Widget at the bottom of the page. We love hearing from our listeners!
Finally, please leave an honest review for The Wasted Ammo Podcast on Itunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. They really do matter when it comes to rankings and we love reading them!
Until next time!